Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cookin' with Coolio: Don Chicken Alfredo

A month or so ago, I volunteered to do a review of Coolio's new cookbook. Those of you who grew up in the 90's will remember Coolio of Gangsta Paradise fame but now he has termed himself "The Ghetto Gourmet". He claims to have been cooking longer than he's been rapping and has published this cookbook to teach people to make "5 star meals at a 1 star price."

This cookbook doesn't read like your typical cookbook. You'll find ingredients measured in dime bags and off-color language throughout. The dishes you'll find include such things at Chicken Lettuce Blunts, Oil My Mussels, Pimp My Shrimp, and Crybaby Chicken. After looking through the book, I decided to make Don Chicken Alfredo. The recipe claimed 15 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes of cooking time but that's a litle on the optimistic side. Although not difficult, there are several pieces to get ready at once. I also cut the recipe in half since its just me and hubs and the recipe says it will serve 6-8 people. We had plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow still. I also left out the mushrooms (because I don't like them) and the tomatos (because I didnt have any and thought it seemed wierd). I used mozzerella cheese instead of colby-monterey jack cheese (again because it's what I had on hand). Overall this turned out pretty good - a fairly classic alfredo taste without all the fat of heavy cream. (It's still not health food, but it could be worse.)
Here's the recipe as I made it:

Don Chicken Alfredo
Recipe adapted from Cookin' with Coolio
1/2 pound fettuccine (I used whole wheat)
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 T olive oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 medium white onion, diced
2 T flour
1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
2 T sour cream (I used reduced fat)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Boil water over high heat for fettuccine. Add salt and cook pasta until al dente (about 6-8 minutes) and drain.

Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add 2 T olive oil and 2 cloves minced garlic. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink (about 7-10 minutes). Remove chicken when finished cooking and cover with foil to keep it hot.
Heat another skillet over medium heat. Add remaining olive oil and minced garlic. Add diced onion and cook until translucent, abou 5-7 minutes. Add flour and stir until well combined, cook about 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the milk and "stir until it's smooth like Barry and creamy like White." Turn off the heat and add the cheeses, stirring until melted. Add sour cream, salt and pepper. Slice chicken into thin strips. Add pasta to the sauce mixture and stir until combined. Add chicken, stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails