Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Cheese Sauce

I've been craving enchiladas for a couple weeks and I haven't gotten around to making them. On Monday night, I decided it was time. I had some chicken thawed out and plenty of tortilla shells but then realized I was missing the enchilada sauce. It was already about 7 pm and I didnt want to run to the store, so I just modified my usual enchilada recipe a little. While I still love my original, this created a whole new love. These enchiladas were a perfect blend of spicy, cheesy goodness. (The pictures don't exactly live up to the goodness.)

Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Cheese Sauce
(Serves 4)
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 jalepeno peppers, seeded and diced
1/2 white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheddar
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
8 tortillas (I use whole wheat flour tortillas but you can use corn if you prefer)

Cook chicken in a large covered pan with 1" of water over medium-high heat until cooked through (about 10-15 minutes). Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray. When chicken is cooked through, drain and remove from pan, use 2 forks to shred it and set aside. Add 1 T of oil to the pan and add garlic and onion. Saute for about 2 minutes and return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and add jalepenos and 1/4 cup chicken stock to the pan. Add 1 tsp each of cumin and chili powder and cayenne pepper. Add corn and 1/4 cup shredded cheese, cook until cheese is melted. Warm tortillas on a plate in the microwave for about 15 seconds, covered with a damp paper towel.

Heat a 2nd skillet over medium-low heat and add sour cream. Whisk in remaining chicken stock and remaining cumin and chili powder. Add 1 cup of cheese and whisk until melted. Remove from heat. Add filling to the center of each tortilla, fold in the ends and roll up. Place seam side down in the pan. Fit all the enchiladas in the pan closely together and pour sour cream sauce over the enchiladas. Top with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Serve topped with salsa and guacamole if desired.


Chicken Enchiladas on Foodista

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely meal!I came across your blog from the foodieblogroll and I enjoyed reading through your posts and drooling over your delicious feasts. I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks!-Alisa@Foodista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa - I hope I did this right...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails