Pin It button on image hover

Monday, January 11, 2010

Healthier Flatbread Pizza

Pizza can be as good or as bad as you want it to be. You can have deep dish, meat lovers with extra cheese or you can have a veggie pizza with thin crust and light cheese. You can make homemade dough, buy a pizza crust at the store, or use frozen bread dough. All of the options work out well. However, if you want an easy weeknight dinner ready in 20 minutes, that won't blow your diet for the whole day, these flatbread pizzas are a great solution without sacrificing flavor.


The flatbread that I used is called Naan bread. I can usually find it in the bakery section and it conveniently comes 2 rounds to a package and cost me a whopping $1.50. (Not only is it healthier, its also cheaper than buying a prepared crust as Boboli is usually around $5 at my grocery store.)
Since these don't really require a recipe, I'm just going to tell you how I did ours. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and dust very lightly with cornmeal. Top each flatbread with pizza sauce. I add a clove of minced garlic to a traditional store bought variety.
I added a combination of red and green bell peppers and pineapple to mine and a combination of sliced button mushrooms, sliced black olives and bell peppers to Todd's.
Then top them with a mix of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. I use about 3 parts mozzarella to 1 part Parmesan. Sprinkle with some oregano and crushed red pepper flakes and bake for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the flatbread is crispy. As prepared, these pizzas were about 400 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails