Pin It button on image hover

Friday, January 15, 2010

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Scotchies

These were created in an effort to use up some leftover baking supplies from my Christmas baking but I think they may be added to my list of cookies to make more often. My husband liked these better than traditional Oatmeal Scotchies made with only butterscotch chips. I had a little less than half a bag of both butterscotch and milk chocolate chips in the pantry so I thought I would use both. I usually make the Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie recipe from Quaker and just add butterscotch chips instead of raisins but modified it slightly for these cookies. I also only had 1 stick of butter on hand so I used half butter and half butter-flavored Crisco for these. It worked out fine but the cookies spread a little more and turn out thinner than with all butter so I would recommend using all butter but if you're in a pinch feel free to substitute.


Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Scotchies
Adapted from Quaker Oats
Yields about 4 dozen cookies

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 T light corn syrup
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate but semi-sweet would work too)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and corn syrup and mix well. Add baking soda, cinnamon, salt and flour and mix until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in oats and chips. I chill the dough for about 20 minutes and then scoop cookies onto baking sheets and bake about 10-12 minutes. Cool on the pan for about 1 minute and then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container.


A couple of tips (that apply to almost any drop cookie recipe):

  • I generally bake a test cookie unless its a cookie recipe I have made a million times just to be sure there is enough flour. I would hate to ruin a whole dozen cookies.

  • My new favorite thing are Silpats... no more cooking spray and they keep the bottoms of your cookies from getting dark. Parchment paper works too but if you bake a lot of cookies, Silpats will be more economical and environment-friendly.
  • Put your cookie dough back in the refrigerator between batches to keep it from getting too warm.
  • If you bake more than one sheet of cookies at a time, rotate the pans from top to bottom rack and side to side halfway through the baking time.

  • A cookie scoop works really well to make sure all your cookies are similar in size so they bake up evenly. I scoop them out and then press them down slightly so the edges don't crisp up too much before the middles are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails