Pin It button on image hover

Monday, September 14, 2009

Baked Mac N'Cheese

The hubs is out of town for work this week, which means I'm making baked mac n'cheese. Unfortunately for me, my husband loves all types of cheese, yet the blue box is the only type of macaroni he will eat. I just dont get it, but it's what he was raised on so I'm not fighting it, I just make myself a nice batch when he's not here.


Baked Four Cheese Macaroni
(Serves 4)

1/2 box of pasta (I prefer whole wheat and used a combo of shells and fusilli today because its what I had in the cupboard)
1 cup milk (I used skim)
1 T butter
1 T flour
1/2 cup smoked cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup gouda, grated
1/2 cup sharp cheddar, grated
1/2 cup monterrey jack, grated
2 T bread crumbs (I use Italian seasoned)
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
a dash of cayenne pepper
a dash of chili powder

Cook pasta to al dente and drain. Preheat broiler on low. In the same sauce pan, melt butter and whisk in flour to form a paste. Slowly add milk, constantly whisking and cook until it thickens. Add cayenne, S&P. Add cheese a handful at a time, reserving 1/4 cup. Stir in pasta and pour the entire mixture into a greased baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and then bread crumbs and sprinkle with chili powder. Broil for about 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are toasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails