Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wilton Course 2 - Final Cake


I finished Wilton course 2 last night which was interesting. I don't feel like I really learned that much in course 2 - we learned to make a bunch of different flowers and use royal icing, including pansies, roses, violets, daisies, daffodils, and mums. Royal icing dries hard and lasts a long time, so you can make all sorts of flowers in advance and save them for a cake.We learned the basketweave pattern and a couple other borders to build on what we learned in course 1. We also learned how to make designs in color flow which is an icing that dries hard and allows you to make any pattern you want and peel it off parchment paper onto your cake. That's where the little birds came in.Overall, it was worthwhile but I'm much more excited for course 3 so I can start working with fondant. I think the materials in course 1 and 2 are fairly dated although you do learn some good basic skills.
We didn't really have any choices in the final cake, it had to be a 2 layer, oval cake - they even sell you the pans in the course 2 kit so that you can measure out the basketweave pattern with their template. We had to do the flowers and birds so that's why it sort of looks like Easter threw up on my cake despite the fact that it's December.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails