Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Little Leprechaun's Pot of Gold Cake


So having a new baby has been an excuse to celebrate all the little holidays, "it's her first..." has commonly been my rationale.  So making a St. Patrick's Day cake - for a 1 month old baby who can't eat it - didn't seem at all over the top in my mind.  Especially when I had a great idea for a cake to try.  Now if only I could celebrate with things like baby carrots and salad maybe I would be more prepared for Aubrey's first trip to the beach but we'll get there -- and let's be honest, cake is way more fun than carrots and salad. 
  

This cake was a spin off of this cookies and cream cake I made for my husband last year for his birthday.  I tried these Golden Oreos at my in-laws house a couple of months ago and thought they were delicious.  When I saw the spring Oreos in the store the other day, I thought they were cute with the green filling but my mind went back to these.  


This yellow cake recipe isnt the usual one I use, simply because I wanted something quick and this one didn't require beating the egg whites and folding them in separately and also used buttermilk and all purpose flour rather than cake flour.  The result - a quick easy yellow cake recipe, it works great in this instance because its not too soft to hold up to the filling.  


Pot of Gold Cake

Cake:
Recipe from The Modern Baker
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray two 8" cake pans with baking spray or butter and flour and line with parchment paper and spray paper. 

Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl on medium speed about 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, mixing about 1 minute after each addition until well incorporated.  Add half of the flour, half of the baking powder and the salt.  Mix on low speed until just incorporated.  Add buttermilk and mix until incorporated and add remaining flour and baking powder.  Increase the speed to medium and beat an additional 2 minutes. 

Divide batter evenly between pans and bake about 25 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool about 5 minutes in the pan and then turn out on wire racks, flip them over so they are top side up.  Cool completely then slice each cake layer in half horizontally to make 4 thin layers and assemble.

Golden Oreo Cream Filling
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 package Golden Oreo cookies, crushed

Process cookies in a food processer until they are fine crumbs.  Add heavy cream to a cold mixing bowl (putting the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes prior to mixing will speed up the process) fitted with the whisk attachment and beat 2-3 minutes until cream forms stiff peaks.  Add vanilla extract and blend until mixed.  Gently fold in crushed cookies.  Add 1/3 of the cream mixture in between each layer of cake.

Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 T heavy cream
3 cups powdered sugar

Cream butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.  Add vanilla and cream and mix until well incorporated.  Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing on low speed until frosting reaches desired thickness.  Increase speed to medium and whip about 1 minute until smooth.  Tint with gel food coloring as desired and frost cake.  Cover and refrigerate cake if not serving within a couple of hours.

7 comments:

  1. Awww, Aubrey is so adorable!

    That cake looks so yummy, it amazes me you have time to bake or feel like doing anything but sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really great! I love Golden Oreos. I luv your baby's onesie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind that gorgeous cake! I could just eat your little guy up he's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I gave you an award back at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was really good...the frosting was too sweet for me...but the kids thought it was perfect....I could eat the cake alone...it was that amazing!!!! Mmmmmmm......dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made just the cake earlier today. I used Greek yogurt thinned with a little milk since I didn't have buttermilk. I baked it in an 8 by 3 inch pan. I'm not sure if it was either of those things or if I was a little heavy handed with the flour (I do sift)- but this came out exactly like pound cake. It was REALLY good pound cake at that. I've never made a pound cake that had a small fine crumb that I could call perfect. This had that awesome perfect texture along with the flavor of yummy real butter. I split the cake into three layers and filled it with my favorite cheesecake type filling. Because it was so heavy and pound cake like, I decided not to frost it. I'm so pleased with this cake. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will definitely make this again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails