Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Peach Blueberry Cobbler


There are fresh peaches everywhere lately and it makes me so happy.  Inevitably, I buy too many though which then forces me to make desserts like this one.  I mean I couldn't let the peaches go to waste - and I had some blueberries to use up too.  I had to do it.  And I'm so glad that I did... it was absolutely delicious.  I love fruit desserts - cobblers, crisps, pie a la mode, etc - warm fruit and sugar topped with some form of whipped cream or ice cream is perfection for me.


Generally I made fruit crisps because I've never been a big fan of the biscuit-style cobblers.  However, this one may have converted me.  Cobbler may have just moved one step ahead of crisp in my book.  And it is incredibly easy to put together and requires just a few ingredients that you most likely have on hand.  (Which in the interest of full disclosure is what led me to this recipe to begin with, I didn't have any oatmeal to make a crisp.)


The really cool part about this recipe is watching it bake, when you assemble the cobbler, the batter goes in the bottom of the pan and you spoon the fruit over the top but as it bakes, the batter rises to the top and the fruit forms delicious rivers of syrupy goodness over the top. 

Peach Blueberry Cobbler

3-4 large ripe peaches, peeled and chopped into large chunks
1/2 cup blueberries
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 T water
1 T vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups milk

In a saucepan, combine peaches, blueberries, water, vanilla extract, and 1 cup sugar.  Stir gently to combine and bring to a boil, simmer for approximately 10 minutes and remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Add butter to a 9x13 pan or 3 qt baking dish and place in the oven until melted.  Meanwhile, combine remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and milk in a small mixing bowl and whisk until well combined and mostly smooth.  Pour batter over the melted butter but do not stir.  Gently spoon fruit over the batter and pour in any syrup. 

Bake 30-45 minutes until golden brown.  The batter will rise to the top during baking forming the traditional cobbler crust over the fruit.  Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired when serving.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds sooo Delicious! I'm definitely going to try this recipe out :)

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails