Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Linguine with Zucchini and Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce

The zucchini looked especially good at the grocery store the other day and it was on sale so I picked up a couple with an idea for a pasta dish in my head. I decided to use a whole wheat linguine and julienne the zucchini, along with a red bell pepper into long thin strips to put in the pasta. I wanted to make a spicy tomato sauce to bring everything together so I started with a can of fire roasted tomatoes to add a layer of smoky flavor.



I added some shrimp to round out the meal. Do yourself a favor and take the tails off before you cook them though. I bought the pre-cooked frozen shrimp the other day because they were on sale and didn't think about the fact that they had the tails on them until I dumped them in the pan. Not a huge deal, just makes it a bit of a hassle to eat.

Linguine with Zucchini and Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce

1 T olive oil
1 T butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt (+ more to salt pasta water)
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 T tomato paste
1 small zucchini, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 cayenne pepper, minced
1/2 pound linguine
20-24 large shrimp
2 T fresh basil, chopped
1 T flat leaf parsley, chopped

Heat a large deep skillet over medium heat and add butter and oil. When hot, add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook about five minutes until onions are translucent and add tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon and cook to reduce. Stir in tomato paste, add cayenne pepper and cook sauce for about ten minutes to reduce.

Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water to boiling for pasta. Salt water liberally and add pasta. Cook to al dente and drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of pasta water.

About five minutes before pasta is done, add bell pepper and zucchini to the tomato sauce. Stir in some of the reserved pasta water to thin sauce to desired consistency. Add shrimp and cook until opaque or heated through if pre-cooked. Toss with pasta and add parsley and basil and serve.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to print this out and try it tonight. Got a whole bunch of zucchini from my neighbor and have shrimp in my freezer so it should be an easy, quick dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was delicious! I made it tonight and my family and I loved it. My husband suggested having it in our "rotation" of dinners, which means he really loves it . Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails