Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Meyer Lemon Bars

A new Fresh Market opened up a few miles from my house and we stopped by for the first time this past weekend. I was like a kid in a candy store with the great selection of products. Tons of fresh fruits and vegetables to choose from, lots of organic products, spices I can't ever find at my regular grocery store. Anyway, don't think you need a specialty store to make this recipe. I did however pick up some great Meyer lemons which you will need. Meyer lemons are sweeter than regular lemons and more orange in color.


When I bought the lemons, I knew I wanted to make a dessert with them but didn't know which one. As I was flipping through my Food Network magazine, I found a recipe for Classic Lemon Bars that I figured would be perfect.



Meyer Lemon Bars
Adapted from Food Network Magazine, March 2010 Issue

Crust:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Filling:
4 large eggs
2 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour, sifted
Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
1 cup Meyer lemon juice (about 5 lemons)
Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray and line with foil, leaving an overhang on each side of 2-3 inches. Spray foil lightly with nonstick spray.

In a food processor, add sugar and pulse 4-5 times. Add brown sugar, flour, salt and butter and pulse until the dough begins to come together. It will be crumbly and dry. Spread into prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake approximately 25 minutes until golden brown. Reduce heat to 300 degrees.

While the crust cooks, beat eggs and yolks in a mixing bowl. Whisk in sugar and flour until smooth. Add lemon zest and slowly whisk in lemon juice. When crust is baked, remove from oven and pour filling over hot crust and return to oven. Bake until filling is just set, about 30 minutes.

Cool in the pan approximately 30 minutes and then refrigerate in pan at least 2 hours. Use foil to remove bars from the pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into 24 bars. Keep extras refrigerated.

5 comments:

  1. Those look SO good!! I love the color and how the texture looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh!!these look super delish...melt in the mouth type goodness!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i'm bookmarking these! they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this recipe! I made these last night for out-of-town guests, and we have been enjoying them again today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all!

    @Momma S -- so glad they turned out well for you! I love to hear what others think when they try something!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails